- This event has passed.
SAVE THE DATE: 2019 Skaggs Island Bike Ride
May 18, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Sat, May 18, 2019, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
This is a rare opportunity to tour the 3,300-acre Skaggs Island, a former top secret naval communications site. It is now a part of the San Pablo Bay National Wildlife Refuge and is normally closed to the public. The self-guided ride includes a 7-mile loop with a few optional spur trails of 0.3 and 0.5 miles. Feel free to come out and walk the route as well. Great for adults and children!
Please Register – however, you DO NOT need to bring your tickets to the event
- Wildlife you might see: deer, fox, coyote, jack rabbit, turkey, great horned owl, white-tailed kite, & other raptors
- What to bring: bicycle (optional), hat, dress in layers, water, picnic lunch, binoculars, camera, sunscreen
- Portable toilets will be onsite
- Biking surface is mostly paved with some gravel sections; Skaggs Island is very flat (no hills)
- Mountain bikes, road bikes, and cruisers should do fine
Directions: Skaggs Island Road is located at the flashing yellow light on Highway 37 approximately 5.5 miles west of Mare Island and 3.9 miles East of Sears Point (CA-121). It is accessible from either direction on Highway 37, however, use caution when turning on to Skaggs Island Road or returning onto Highway 37. You will be directed where to park. We will also have the north gate unlocked (but closed) for those who want to ride in from Ramal Road.
Route maps for a self-guided ride will be available at the check in tent located near the south gate (off Highway 37).
Questions? email@example.com or (707) 769-4200 x102.